• El foro de relojes de habla hispana con más tráfico de la Red, donde un reloj es algo más que un objeto que da la hora. Relojes Especiales es el punto de referencia para hablar de relojes de todas las marcas, desde Rolex hasta Seiko, alta relojería, relojes de pulsera y de bolsillo, relojería gruesa y vintages, pero también de estilográficas. Además, disponemos de un foro de compraventa donde podrás encontrar el reloj que buscas al mejor precio. Para poder participar tendrás que registrarte.

Me voy a New York...

Estado
Hilo cerrado
Efra1

Efra1

Forer@ Senior
Sin verificar
Y aprovechando i estancia por alli me gustaria ver nenes , conoceis algun sitio tipo mercadillo, rastro, etc donde se puedan ver cositas antiguas, vintages y NOS....
Tiendas fisicas me valen tambien aunque creo que no hay nada como trastear y encontrar sorpresas .

Algunas sugerencia??

Saludos

Juer que suerte. Yo me voy a Santovenia de la Valdoncina, y suena bien, pero me temo que no......:D:D:D
No te puedo sugerir nada de NY, pero que lo pases bien y te traigas algo.:)
Un abrazo,
Luis

Juer que suerte. Yo me voy a Santovenia de la Valdoncina, y suena bien, pero me temo que no......:D:D:D
No te puedo sugerir nada de NY, pero que lo pases bien y te traigas algo.:)
Un abrazo,
Luis
:D :D :D
Suena exotico,, jejejee
Mi intencion es irme sobre el 10 de Nov, si no me ire como todos los años a Londres, aunque este último ya lo tengo muy trillado.......

A ver si alguien se anima y me cuanta algo interesante de donde rebuscar por alli...:cool1: :cool1:

Aqui tienes un plano de donde encontrar las relojerias:

lostimage.jpg

1001 gracias Santiago, estare alojado por Times Square asi que me pilla relativamente bien.
Hare un recorrido a ver que hay interesante.

Ya os informare desde alli, aun quedan dias para el viaje.

Algunas tiendas y enlaces

De nuestro foro.

https://relojes-especiales.com/threads/new-york.4107/

https://relojes-especiales.com/threads/new-york-new-york-chinatown.5826/

Saludos

De Watchtourism. Son correos antiguos pero vale la pena leerlos.

GUIDE TO DISCOUNTS IN NYC

Posted by Alan Glazen on October 28, 1999 at 09:49:56:
TZ Classics Forum Number: 897
Posted from Host: 53.cleveland-15-20rs.oh.dial-access.att.net (12.76.118.53)

I work every other week in NYC and one of my passions is hunting down watches and seeing how the money game works. I am constantly amazed that I can buy expensive watches for 40-50% off through dealers on Timezone, so I am obsessed with learning how the NYC retail shops compete.

You might be interested in who offers what and how to beat the system there:

1. Every shop---bar none---offers discounts. Tourneua, for example, will give you up to 20% off but you must insist. All of the retail shops resist even hinting that discounts are available, because mostly they sell to tourists who think it's improper to negotiate.

2. Wempe is the nicest of the shops because they are upfront offering a discount, usually around 17%, and they are completely zero pressure. Torneau is a good place to see everything on earth, but you must fend off the many salespeople who lurk on every square foot of retail space.

3. A good place---my best recommendation---is on 57th west of 8th avenue, called Mostly Watches. A sales guy named Alec will give you 30% off anything---if you tell him you will otherwise buy on the internet. In that store you can buy Fortis, Oris, etc.---but they are owned by the same people who own Kenjo, down the street---and through Alec you can get everything they sell at 30% off too.

4. The most unpleasant place to shop is a big discounter---Plaza Watches on 57th across from the Planet Hollywood. They have tons of great watches in the window, and it's fun to look---but once youare buzzed in to this small and crowded shop, get ready to be treated rudely and like an idiot. They will give you inflated prices on everything and then offer to discount. they will demand a deposit on a watch they don't have just to get you a quotation. Even though they advertise in NY Observor 50-70% off, they actually end up giving something around 35%---not bad, but not worth the lousy experience.

5. Go instead to 47th Street on the sw corner of 5th avenue and find a shop called Yeager Watches. They are much easier to deal with, they don't pretend to do anything but get you a deal. They will give you a flat and instant 40% off every watch in existence.

6. A nice friendly place to shop is called A Question Of Time on MacDougal just south of Houston. Paul owns the shop, which sells mostly vintage watches, can get you just about anything new for around 40% off. This is the most pleasant of all these places to visit---he loves watches and you can enjoy yacking with him.

Still---I ordered my new IWC UTC from a fellow in Hong Kong, but I bought a Fortis Pilot Chrono from Mostly Watches.

You have to add a value for two things----immediacy(there's nothing like walking out with a great new watch on your wrist), and experience (it feels nice to be treated special at Wempe)---but long after the pleasure of those two factors wears off---you always enjoy knowing you got a deal, and that you can sell the watch near or even over cost when you're sick of it.

enjoy the hunt Please share your NYC experiences and tips with me! I'm particularly interetsed in finding good sources of great vintage watches there.

alan glazen

NYC watch story. Tourneau,Kenjo,Wempe. Long,had time to kil

Posted by Bond, James Bond on February 07, 2000 at 17:48:35:
Posted from Host: dialup-209.246.100.158.newyork2.level3.net (209.246.100.158)

Thought I would go into Manhattan in search of perhaps another band for my new Zenith El Primero, perhaps a nice high quality black aligator band. I'll refrain from telling you how lousy the subway service has been in New York, since this is not the right forum. But after hearing that the lousy subway service was suspended, due to the Columbia student incident, I bypassed the lousy subway and drove down. The drive is always much nicer than the lousy subway, and I can enjoy my coffee, without the lousy subway splashing it on me.

Anyway first stop Tourneau on 57th. I actually succeeded this time in making it to the counter, without one of the swarm of "knowledable" vultures attaching to me as soon as I entered. Right through the front door, down the escalator, and to the watch band stand. Here is where I first met "Crabby". At this time, I needed a rest room really bad, since the lousy subway had detained me for a spell. Before I asked Crabby for the rest room, I pulled off the Zenith, and told her I was looking for a band, I wanted her to think I was a customer before she told me they don't have bathrooms there. Crabby pointed to the rest room, and said "I'll hold the watch". WRONG ! She didn't seem happy that I kept the watch. I get back to the counter and Crabby now acts like she doesn't remember me, so I explain again that I am looking for a band. Crabby pulls out the boxes, lays out a hole bunch of bands that I am totally not interested in, and says "I recommend this one". I am still not sure why she thought I was looking for her "recommendation", I wasn't. Anyway, after I finally get through to her that I want a black non-shiney, alligator band in a 19, Crabby pushes a shiney 18 in front of me, to the tune of $190, and impatiently says "just splurge". I put it up against the watch, and said "It's shiney, and it doesn't even fit". She barked "IT FIT'S !". I left.

Next stop Kenjo. Here I met a salesman who sounded like a wheeler, dealer. Clearly knew his wathces better than Crabby. After talking watches with him for a few minutes, I almost forgot how lousy the subways were. He inquired as to where I got the Zenith, since he was the only one in the states selling them, I told him the Internet. I also told him that I priced the watch at Kenjo for $2800, but I couldn't get a discount. I bought the watch at Ashford, with my coupon for $1400. This didn't phase him. So he showed me the bands. He had the one I wanted at $150. I asked "what was the best he could do on the band". He said "no discount". I like the guy, but it reminded me of those SAT type associative questions. You know No discount, is to No watch purchase. AS No discount is to No band purchase. Thanked him for his time and went off to Wempe.

For those who actually read this far, and are not familiar with this part of New York. You can easily walk from Tourneau to Kenjo, then to Wempe without taking the lousy subway.

After peering through the display windows at Wempe in the freezing cold, I approached the door where a man opens the door for you. Nice touch, I'm not used to this type treatment. Upon entering, I am greeted by a gentlemen who offers to help me. I tell him I am looking for a band for my Zenith. He says "Ah, an El Primero, come, have a seat". He brings me over to one of several tables placed throughout the store. For those who haven't been there, this is the classier of the three. The table I am at, is right next to the Lange and Sohne display case. The salesman takes his time, shows me numerous black, non shiney bands, until I decide on one. Unfortunately my first choice doesn't fit. I comment that I would like one that looks like the Jaegar LeCoultre. He pulls out the Manufactures bands, and sure enough, has exactly what I'm looking for, and many more. "I'll take it". He hands the watch, and band over to his technician, who has a little counter off the left, and she promptly installs the buckle, while working in front of you. I particularly like that my watch never leaves my sight. The band was $175, and I forgot to ask for a discount. (Not fair to Kenjo, but I was slightly awe struck by Wempe.) Only problem with Wempe is , for the first time in my life, the Jaegar-Lecoultre Reverso with the Ostrich band looks very appealing, or maybe the Lange and Sohne, then again ....... Things were a lot cheaper when I was just an Omega man.

Anyway, for this watch shopper, on this given day, my rankings on quality of service would be as follows

1) Wempe
2) Kenjo
3) lousy subway
4) Tourneau

Cheers

Bond, James Bond

Try "Time Will Tell" in 900 blk Madison. Even

Posted by jim b+ on February 08, 2000 at 06:57:45:
In Reply to: NYC watch story. Tourneau,Kenjo,Wempe. Long,had time to kil posted by Bond, James Bond on February 07, 2000 at 17:48:35:
Posted from Host: (162.99.17.59)

if you're not deep into vintage, they have a lot of interesting stuff and are very pleasant people to deal with. After trying on many watches more valuable than any car I own, I bought a really nice deBeers strap I've been very happy with (only place I've seen that brand). Prices reflect not just brick and mortar establishment cost, but GOLD brick and mortar, plus a staff of several people who I assume are paid. Check out their website.

Re: must visit watch stores in New York City?

Posted by Gus Salles on February 28, 2000 at 20:39:42:
In Reply to: must visit watch stores in New York City? posted by Steve Kadison on February 28, 2000 at 13:06:31:
Posted from Host: 159.rochelle-park-08-09rs16rt.nj.dial-access.att.net (12.79.203.159)

Also try Edwards Joseph at the corner of 5th Ave and 42nd Street. They carry Omega, IWC, Audemars Piguet, Bell & Ross, Lange & Sons, Baume & Mercier, Jaeger, Cartier. They may not have ALL the watches within a brand name but if you find what you want you can negotiate a discount. I got a handsome discount on my X-33, and good customer care too. Look for 25% to 35%.

2 more - Michael Ashton and Time will Tell, on Madison

Posted by Jeff Low on March 27, 2000 at 13:39:41:
In Reply to: Vintage watch browsing in NYC...where should I go? posted by CWIP on March 27, 2000 at 11:50:08:
Posted from Host: (207.6.144.154)

Avenue up in the 70s. Ashton around 74th. Time will Tell around 80th. Both are on the east side of the street.

Aaron Faber is by far the largest shop for this kind of thing in Manhattan, tho'.

-Jeff

Re: Vintage watch browsing in NYC...where should I go?

Posted by Mark on March 27, 2000 at 14:44:26:
In Reply to: Vintage watch browsing in NYC...where should I go? posted by CWIP on March 27, 2000 at 11:50:08:
Posted from Host: generic-gw-ext.doubleclick.net (199.95.209.169)

Bob,

You can also try Question of Time on McDougal (right below Houston). They carry watches, clocks, and pocket watches.

Sorry, I can't tell you, I'm on the way out the door...

Posted by �kny on May 28, 2000 at 10:29:00:
In Reply to: Where to go to for watches in New York posted by Staffan Sevon on May 28, 2000 at 10:25:23:
Posted from Host: 24-29-146-27.nyc.rr.com (24.29.146.27)

to the 26th St. Flea Market at 26th St. & 6th Ave...every Sat. and Sun...where there are several vintage dealers both days (more on Sun.)

Rob

Re: Vintage Shopping in NYC?

Posted By: RS79 <richard@vrx.net> (mbv2-pl-ri33.kos.net)
Date: 9/24/0 - 20:31:07

In Response To: Vintage Shopping in NYC? (David Morgenstern)

Losta decent bargins on new watches on 47th st between Broadway and 7th Ave, but vintage stuff was insane. I have a NOS 1942 rose GF watch I paid 175 Canadian in an antique store in Toronto. One store I saw in NYC has a poor example of the same watch and wanted $800 USD. If you find anywhere reasonable lemmee know.

Time Will Tell in the 900 block

Posted By: jim b+ <jbeek@samhsa.gov> (162.99.16.61)
Date: 9/25/0 - 14:12:11

of Madison; Aaron Faber Gallery (also upper midtown). Time Will Tell is good to actually see and handle stuff you only see in books or on the web. They may have some moderate-priced stuff, but you pay for their brick and mortar high-rent site. The people there are always very nice, and I generally buy a couple of straps there out of guilt. They have a website. There's also a small operation down in the Village, but I don't recall many details. Good luck.

Re: Time Will Tell in the 900 block

Posted By: RS79 <richard@vrx.net> (mbv4-pl-ri36.kos.net)
Date: 9/25/0 - 14:59:46

In Response To: Time Will Tell in the 900 block (jim b+)

Time Will Tell is probably the coolest watch store in Manhatten and Stewart Unger is always willing to talk watches. He's a extremely nice guy. He's at 962 Madison. Plaza watch at 145 W 57th street is also good. Both these places are quite expensive. There's probably a pawn shop in new Jersey where the real bargins are. I have to agree you'll see stuff at TWT you only see in books; he has more stuff in the safe than he has on display and speaking of books, Stewart wrote one of them; big coffee table book called somwething like "Contemporary American Wristwatches" or someting like that.

Fossner Timepieces, Inc (more)

Posted By: Bill Mattocks <bmattock@earthlink.net> (dialup-209.244.78.30.denver1.level3.net)
Date: 9/26/0 - 00:12:17

Funny you should ask, just got back home to Denver today. I was wandering through the rain-soaked streets of Manhatten on Saturday, and found this place by accident:

J & P Timepieces, Inc / Fossner Timepieces, Inc 1057 2nd Avenue (at 56th St) NYC, NY 10022 (212) 980-1099

They had a nice selection of vintage pieces. Prices were marked on most of them, appeared to be on the 'high side,' but I believe that they were more than open to negotiation.

You have to press the buzzer and be 'buzzed' in. Look presentable, there are some street loonies that wander by and try to get in, they get ignored.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Question of Time on MacDougal St....

Posted by wkf on January 17, 2001 at 20:32:31:
In Reply to: Where to go in New York City for--- posted by Barry on January 17, 2001 at 19:45:22:
Posted from Host: (192.232.119.194)

...for lower-end (most under $500) preowned watches.

Time Will Tell, 900 blk Madison...

Posted by jim b+ on January 18, 2001 at 08:50:46:
In Reply to: Where to go in New York City for--- posted by Barry on January 17, 2001 at 19:45:22:
Posted from Host: (162.99.16.61)

vintage and late-model top end stuff, very nice people (if high prices). They have a website.

NYC watch tour results...

Posted By: Ludwig (209.102.66.34)
Date: 6/4/01 10:59

Quick impressions:

Last week, I visited Tourneau, Cellini, Wempe, Art of Time, and Kenjo. In all cases, I was dressed in a polo or Hawaiian shirt, khakhi shorts, decent shoes, and wearing a Blancpain perpetual/chrono in stainless on bracelet. (This is an outfit which has gotten me almost thrown out of a high-end store in San Francisco...)

Tourneau Time Machine - huge selection, but not much on the very high end. I picked up a little of the hard-sell attitude that some people here have remarked on, but it wasn't offensive. The two salespeople I dealt with were quite helpful, and one was extremely knowledgeable about his merchandise. Reasonable discounts were easily negotiated.

Cellini - excellent selection of high-end pieces. Very knowledgable salesmen. A bit standoffish at first, but when they realized I was serious, they warmed up. My 4-year old daughter was with me, and they even encouraged me to show her the Audemars Grand Sonnerie I was looking at. Perhaps they were hoping that I would break it :-) A bit harder to negotiate reasonable pricing here.

Wempe - very cold reception at first. Not a huge selection. My salesperson was much less knowledgable about watches than the people at the other stores. When I asked about the lovely Sattler clocks, though, she brightened up, and we spent a wonderful time going over my options. Didn't discuss pricing.

Kenjo, on Wall Street: Michael Gacki is my new hero, even though he reached for the security buzzer when I strolled in :-) He had all sorts of great toys to show me, and really knows his stuff. This'll be the first place I go, next time I'm in NYC.

RIP, Time Will Tell

Posted By: Harry McCracken <harry_mccracken@pcworld.com> (209.1.111.107)
Date: 11/6/1 - 15:27:35

So I was in New York today on a brief business jaunt (third trip there for me since 9/11), and before I hopped on the shuttle to come home, I decided to stop in at the city's two premier vintage watch stores: Aaron Faber Gallery and Time Will Tell.

Aaron Faber (on Fifth Ave.) was, as always, extremely classy, with some terrific vintage American wristwatches in nice shape, tastefully displayed in museum-like cases. I didn't ask about prices, but if previous experience is any indication, they're a lot higher than this EBay-loving collector is conditioned to paying. But a visit to the story is always enjoyable.

Then I headed uptown to Time Will Tell. It's in a part of town I don't get to often (Madison Ave. in the 70s), so I'd only been there once before -- early in my collecting days. When I got there, I discovered it had permanently closed at the end of August! That's a shame, since it was a great, long-established store and one of the birthplaces of vintage wristwatch collecting. I don't know if the Internet did them in or what, but I'm sorry to see them go.

-- Harry

For vintage American watches (e.g., Elgin, Bulova, etc.)...

Posted By: 99wsf (198.76.170.192)
Date: 11/21/01 09:17

In Response To: A WIS goes to New York....help (more) (Steve)

...go to Ipswitch Watches, on East 9th Street, between 1st and 2nd Avenues (I think). It's a nice little store with a few gems to be found. ...mostly vintage American watches from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. The gentleman there is fair and honest, too.

Good luck!

Aaron Faber Gallery - vintage only !

Posted By: k (24-168-17-24.nyc.rr.com)
Date: 11/21/01 09:50

In Response To: A WIS goes to New York....help (more) (Steve)

Oddly enough vintage in New York City is very hard to find. I have scoured the whole island and have come up with only a few spots. The big retail stores usually have a handful of 30s-50s models...that are expensive.

Hands down the best bet is the Aaron Faber Gallery at 666 Fifth Avenue @53st. (past subway entrance).

They have the broadest range...maybe 125 watches. Everything from Patek to Omega to Zeniths and Rolex. They have a wide selection within each brand too (Rolexs included Comex sub, red sea dweller, GMT, etc.) In Omega, a nice Seamaster ProPlof; a heuer calculator and a solid gold Movado Astronic and Zenith SS Espada. Prices are full.

It is a beautiful Gallery with some jewellry to boot too (keep the wife busy).

Another gem, is the sunday outdoor market at 26 St. and 6th Ave. ($1 to get in) There is one seller with funky brown glasses who has about 50 watches; to the left when you walk in. Mostly mid range (Tissot, Hamilton, Bulova, Omega)from 50-70s...he has been there for 15yrs. and is trustworthy.

Good luck!

here

Posted By: k (149.123.131.74)
Date: 5/1/02 13:20

In Response To: Used watch shopping NYC? (Chris)

-Aaron Faber Gallery, has huge selection; triple 6 fifth ave; prices are unrealistic, try-ons free

-Central Watch Band Stand, in North West corner of Grand Central Station; past station masters office, shoe shines, down a passageway; ask directions

-Outdoor fair on 6th and 26 St. Sundays

-Deco antique jewellry on 42/5th some stuff

-Tournua vintage at 52 aint bad, not great either

Rest is in Diamond district...offer half of ask $.

FOr whatever reason NYC had no vintage....guess the high-rollers and fat cats need new only :-)

How about this for a real sleeper....>>>

Posted By: Harbormaster <hisharbor@attbi.com> (pool-151-202-102-208.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: 5/1/02 15:57

In Response To: Used watch shopping NYC? (Chris)

These people have been around for a long time but they are relatively unknown. They have a very large selection of used watches.....can order some brands new at discounts......and they are WEIRD and seemingly indifferent to your business. They are not unpleasant.....far from pushy....just weird. They are J & P Timepieces 1057 2nd Ave. (@ 56th St) .

ooooooooooooole Rodaballo, peaso de info mas util.........
Eso si necesitare imprimirla porque no es cuestion de empollarla jejejejee

Muchas gracias , ya os informare de mis movimientos en la Gran Manzana...

A ver si me curo la CRI antes de ir :cool1: :cool1:

joder santiago eso si que es dar informacion

Sigue ese plano ;-) y no hagas como casi todo el mundo que va a N.Y. va a Chinatown y se trae un Daytona de acero o un Seamaster Planet Ocean y además intenta hacerte creer que es bueno :D :D

Yo voy antes de navidades a NY, también tomo nota. :D

ya está guardado el mapa en mi ordenador, esta es para el siguiente viaje
Gracias

Sigue ese plano ;-) y no hagas como casi todo el mundo que va a N.Y. va a Chinatown y se trae un Daytona de acero o un Seamaster Planet Ocean y además intenta hacerte creer que es bueno :D :D

Lo has clavao macho. Estoy en la oficina y tengo delante al colega que hizo exactamente lo que dices, lo miro y me descojono......:D

Pasear por Cannal Street y ver a los chinos ofreciendo Relojes "cartier-cartier....Rolex-Rolex..... Luivi----Luivi..." Los bolsos de Lui Vitton y demas, es un espectaculo que no hay que perderse. otra cosa es comprarlos jejejejeje.

Estado
Hilo cerrado
Atrás
Arriba Pie